Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What is this life, if, full of care.....


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep and cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
~ WH Davies

2 comments:

  1. Yes time and again I get reminded of this poem. Perhaps I came across this poem when i was in third or fourth standard.

    This is so true that in an effort to keep ourselves abreast of time we are missing on such small but sweet pleasures of life.

    Anshoo, I still remember wen u & I used to sit on the 'munder' of the terrace of our house and spent hours just watching the birds fly, people moving here and there, setting of the sun and rising of the moon. We could endlessly watch and just watch and still not get bored. But now we have so many things to do, lots to accomplish but somewhere deep within the satisfaction and contenment isnt there whoch we used to enjoy when we were children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this takes me back!!

    What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare?

    These two lines my sisters and I have repeated over the years, I guess the rest faded from my memory, but I believe that Sister 2 will remember it. She normally rattles off things from a million years ago.

    Thanks for the trip back memory lane, and yes, its all about the little things, I make it a point to spend enough time on that.

    ReplyDelete